May 27, 2013

What's for breakfast - Millet groats with lots of goodies

Everybody knows breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We always try to remember that. Some time ago my brother told me about millet groats and I thought why not give it another try. I'd always thought it was rather boring and tasteless but now I really started to like it. Whenever we have a bit more time in the morning we prepare a huge bowl of millet with whatever we find in the storage, as long as it's healthy. Every time we try to add something new but usually it is nuts, cranberries, bananas, oranges, apple sauce or grated apple, flax and cinnamon. I'm telling you, a bowl of this delicious mix and you're full for the next 3 or 4 hours, no need to snack in between meals. 


There is more to it. I've been reading a lot about millet (proso or kasza jaglana) and not only does it give you an energy kick in the morning but it's also really healthy. Apart from lots of vitamins it contains huge amount of magnesium, it's gluten free, it's a great source of fiber, calcium and zinc and is cholesterol free. Millet takes out toxins from your body and is an excellent source of valuable amino acids that are not synthesised in a human body but take an active part in all vital processes. It's also alkaline and I've been mostly crazy about this recently. More on this another time. 

Have a great week and enjoy your breakfast tomorrow :) 





1 comment: